Monday, June 30, 2014
Fantasy Four Patch Quilt Finished
I started this quilt a while ago but just got around to quilting and binding it recently. As I mentioned previously it was made using one of the processes in Joe Cunningham's Pattern-Free Quiltmaking class on Craftsy (affiliate link), called the fantasy four patch. The four patch blocks have four rectangles of varying sizes rather than the traditional four squares. For the border I wanted to make it look like the quilt top was laying on top of a really big fantasy four patch.
I am pretty happy with how it came out except that I wish I had had enough of the green print to use it instead of the brown in the border. Even though the brown is almost the same color as the background of the flower print it really stands out to have such a big patch of it there.
For the binding I used a striped fabric from the same fabric line as the flower print. (Both of which are no longer available from Fabric.com, where I bought them, but I did find them at this store.)
For the back I used Kaufman Essex Yarn-Dyed Linen Blend in flax, with a strip down the middle of the the solids I used in the quilt in varying widths.
I actually really love the back with the linen and the solids. I think it would have been a little better if I had made the strip of colors off center, but I still love it. Especially the linen. Such a great texture. There will definitely be more quilting with linen in my future.
I am fairly new to free motion quilting, but I am pretty happy with how this came out. I do need to work on keeping my scale the same throughout the quilt and on keeping an even stitch length. I guess I am just going to have to make more quilts so I can practice more!