Friday, April 25, 2014
Applique Shirts: Shark and Max Steel
I am starting to work on the clothes the boys will need for summer. I've gone through the clothes I saved from when the big kid was little and found that there is a severe shortage of 3T summer clothes. I am not sure why this happened, because I saved practically everything - I must have been going through a purging phase at that time. So anyway, he is definitely going to need some tees and some shorts.
I wanted to use applique on the kids' shirts to make them more interesting and something they would be more likely to pick out of the closet themselves. I had ordered this cool ocean blue tie dye from Girl Charlee (the fabric seems to be NLA, the link is my referral link) and I decided to applique a shark onto it for the little guy. The fabric does remind me of deep water so a shark seemed appropriate. And the little guy plays with a toy shark in the bath and likes to pretend that it is eating cars and people and soccer balls, so I thought he would be excited to have a shark on his shirt.
I found a picture of a shark that I liked by searching Google images and then I used photoshop's pen tool to trace around the shark (although you could easily do this by hand with tracing paper). I then printed out my outline and traced it onto freezer paper. You can actually print directly onto freezer paper - I'm not sure why I didn't do that.
I used a grey knit fabric for the applique and and applied wonder under to the back side of it. I usually use knit fabrics for my clothing appliques because you don't have to worry about them fraying. I then ironed the freezer paper with the outline, shiny side down, onto the front side of the fabric. I cut around the outline and then removed the freezer paper from the front and removed the paper backing on the wonder under from the back. I ironed the applique onto the front of the shirt and then for extra security, stitched around the edges. (sorry I didn't take any process pictures - that is something I need to work on!)
This big kid is in to Max Steel these days, so he got a Max Steel shirt.
I used the same process for this shirt - using the same blue fabric for the applique as I used for the sleeves. When I showed this shirt to the big kid he was excited! Too bad it is still not quite t-shirt weather...
The pattern I used for the little guy's shirt was the raw-edged raglan from Sewing for Boys (affiliate link). I just didn't leave any raw edges. The big kid's shirt is a raglan tee pattern from Simplicity 5125. Next time I make this t-shirt though I will definitely add two or three inches to it. The tees are wider and shorter than I like and than the off-the-shelf ones he has in the same size.